Android 9 Pie: new operating system
Android 9 Pie: new operating system In all these months we have repeatedly wondered what the name of the next “Android P” operating system would have been. Many were convinced that the “P” was for ” Pistachio ” (or rather, Pistachio Ice Cream ), but they were wrong. Google has (finally!) Officially presented its new operating system, baptizing it with the name of Android 9 Pie (cake). The novelties presented by the Colossus of Mountain View are really many and are concentrated above all on Artificial Intelligence, aimed at offering an even simpler, accessible and adaptable experience to the different needs of users.
Among the new features that take advantage of the IA, we find that of the ” Adaptive battery “, with which the operating system will be able to automatically detect which apps we use the most. in this way it can give them the priority to use the battery while they are in the background. Or the ” Adaptive Brightness “, which automatically adjusts the brightness of the screen according to our preferences and the surrounding environment
by storing when we manually change the brightness indicator in certain environments or times
In addition to the new functions focused on Artificial Intelligence, the new Android operating system will simplify the user experience, introducing new navigation gestures, which will make it easier to use the smartphone with one hand, eliminating the button for recent apps.
Android 9 Pie introduces many other features, including:
- Digital Wellbeing (Digital Wellbeing) which provides information to users on
- the time spent with your smartphone, being able to put time limits use. It will
- also be possible to reduce the abuse of certain applications and darken the whole interface at the end of the day, to literally prevent us from using the smartphone before going to sleep;
- Lockdown: temporarily disable all unlocking methods, except pin/password;
- Support to the notch, that is the black band at the top of the display, made famous by the iPhone X;
- Dual-camera support, with which apps can access the flow of two or more
- cameras simultaneously;
- Improved notifications, especially for messaging apps (images, stickers, smart reply, drafts and more)
- Better support for animated images (GIF and WebP)
- HDR VP9 Profile 2, to bring HDR content to YouTube, Play Movies, and other apps;
- Neural Networks API expands with support for 9 new operations
The Android 9 Pie OTA (over-the-air) update is already available for Google Pixel devices.
Instead, you will have to wait a little longer for the other devices, but Google is still working for release by the end of September 2018
The final version of the operating system will also land on devices registered to the Android Beta program and to qualified Android One devices.